Sunday, September 3, 2017

I Cut My Sugar Intake --> I'm Sleeping Much More Soundly

I Woke Up To All That Sugar

Does added sugar keep one up at night?  You wouldn't think so, but I recently starting cutting back on my sugar intake and I'm sleeping much more soundly.

Granted, it's only been a week, but I haven't done much else differently, recently.

It used to be that I had a radical diet of absolutely no added sugar.  I'd check ingredient labels and refuse to eat anything with added sugar.  Then, gradually, I let down my guard, and recently realized I was consuming staggering amounts of the sweet stuff, yet still thinking I wasn't doing that badly, since I rarely ate candy, cakes, pies, etc.   Here's a typical day for me a week ago:

Breakfast: along with banana and tea (unsweetened):

 * protein drink (26 grams of protein): 26 grams of sugar
 * mixed no sugar and sugary granola: 6 grams
 * dark chocolate square or two: 4 grams

Lunch: along with English Muffin sandwich (0 grams):

  * bottled tea (20 grams of sugar)

Dinner: no added sugar

56 grams in one day!  Or, 14 teaspoons of the crystal powder.

So, I'm bottling my own unsweetened tea to take to work (so far so good), and am cutting out the energy drink (substituting eggs, or leftovers for the protein).  That's a big cut in added sugar, from 56 to 10 grams.

Has that accounted for my sounder sleep?  If so, I'll keep it up.




No comments:

Post a Comment