Sunday, March 4, 2018

My Approach To Social Media

Rules, To Avoid Frittering Away The Day

Twitter, Facebook, Quora are social media platforms I find I can always read more of.  So, I set rules; otherwise, the virtual world overwhelms my free time.

1. Set aside a day (better: an hour in a day) to indulge.  I find that if I don't limit social media, I get a nagging voice telling me I'm floundering, in the backwash of a wave.

2. Keep my posting to a best-of-the-best minimum.  I ask myself, Is this the best I've got?

3. Manage my friending and following so that I don't have too much coming at me.  One way to do this is to not 'like' and 'follow' commercial operations.

4. Cut to my favorite friends / those I follow; I don't always wait for my feed to get to them.  Who do I feel like experiencing today?

5. Avoid distractions; use interactions to express my own feelings.  Ask: What appeals to me right now?  And 'like' and comment on that, not necessarily what everyone else is excited about.

6. Make occasional visits to my old posts.  I'm constantly surprised how many earlier posts are hard to remember, and this reminds me how much of what happens on-line is fleeting.

Meanwhile, I've got extra free time for all those projects I've been putting off.

No comments:

Post a Comment