Sunday, November 7, 2021

Less Than What Meets The Eye

#371: Learning To Question What We See

........................

I took a photo today that illustrates the problem of fakes; the particularly modern condition of things not being what they seem.



 








Those petals on the table are either a miracle on par with the latest UFO sighting, or..., right, those are from the geranium that preceded our white rose that you see.

I also conducted an experiment today.  I told myself I wasn't going to click on any ads (not that I ever do) at the bottom of a webpage, but that I was going to count the number that vaguely interested me.  Of course some were things I knew about already (Vikings in America 1000 years ago!), and some were too bizarre to be anything but disappointing ("Always pour coke on your tires when traveling alone.").  But, I dutifully tried to find something I was genuinely interested in.  I scrolled and I scrolled, but found nothing that I thought worth it.

Which is my point.  Isn't a 'life skill' like skepticism RE: advertising the perfect mental exercise?  It even feels vaguely empowering to know you aren't going to be clicking, just laughing at what advertisers think we'll fall for.  Hey, you could say it's 'one weird trick' up our sleeves!   

No comments:

Post a Comment