Saturday, December 5, 2020

My Favorite Music

#304: My Favorites, Ranked

..................

I listen to Radio Paradise, which allows listeners to rank songs from 1 - 10.  I've done this for nearly ten years without really thinking why, until today, when I decided to add up all songs I rated '10', by artist.  Turns out there are 145.  {For artists that appeared in more than one act, I've combined their numbers in a sliding scale.}

After the list below (which includes all artists with at least two songs), I list my favorites that other listeners agree on, and disagree with (the highest and lowest average scores compared to mine).

The Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia  12 - 15
Bob Marley  10
Joni Mitchell  9
Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs  9 -13
Talking Heads/David Byrne  8 - 11
Santana/Santana Brothers  6 - 7
U2  6
The Rolling Stones  6
Crosby, Stills, Nash/ & Young  5 - 7
Allman Brothers  5
The Beatles  5
Traffic  4 - 5
Steely Dan  4
Aretha Franklin  3
Anna Ternheim  3
Neko Case  3 - 4
Marvin Gaye  3
Bob Dylan  3 - 4
The Pretenders  3
Jimi Hendrix  3
Van Morrison  3
Sarah McLachlan  3 - 4
The Black Keys  2
Led Zeppelin  2 
Fleetwood Mac  2
The Band  2 - 4
Leon Russell  2
Shook Twins  2
Al Green  2
Neil Young  2
David Bowie  2
My Morning Jacket  2

So, here are the songs that, on average, other listeners agree are the best:
(Note: to average a 9.2, nearly everyone has to agree the song is a '10')

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower ... 9.2
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata ... 9.1
The Beatles - You Never Give Me / The End ... 9.0
Dave Brubeck - Take Five ... 9.0
Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary ... 8.8
Antonio Vivaldi - The Four Seasons - Spring ... 8.7
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode ... 8.7
Pink Floyd - Speak To Me / In The Sky ... 8.6
Van Morrison - Into The Mystic ... 8.6
Vince Guaraldi - Linus & Lucy ... 8.6

And, compared to my list (that are all '10s'), these rank worst, on average:

Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter ... 5.8
Cocteau Twins - Alice ... 5.8
Joni Mitchell - Black Crow ... 5.8
Dave Matthews Band - Don't Drink The Water -- 5.9
The Band - This Wheel's On Fire -- 6.1
David Byrne - Make Believe Mambo -- 6.1
World Party - Hollywood -- 6.1
Tinariwen - Cler Achel -- 6.3
Natalie Merchant -- This House Is On Fire -- 6.3
Talking Heads -- Totally Nude - 6.3

A few things:
* I listen to the legacy version of Radio Paradise.  This is because my internet connection is not particularly good.
* My '10's tend to be songs with which I'm familiar enough to have established a firm opinion.  So, there are many songs that'll probably end up as a '10' once I've heard them enough.  And, so, they're by definition more recent.
* There are currently many bloggers listing their most listened to music, according to their download site, which keeps track.  Frankly, I prefer to hear a really good DJ playing enormous variety.  This means I rarely get tired of my favorites, and when I hear them they're a surprise.  Plus, I'm constantly hearing new music and artists I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.  While this exposure is also the case for algorithms at streaming sites, I don't like particular kinds of music, I like good music.
* I've written recently about the main lyricist for the Grateful Dead, Robert Hunter, who passed away last year.  I also ranked Jerry Garcia's top 50 this summer to commemorate the 25th anniversary of his passing.
* Five years ago I ranked my favorite musicians, a list I'm unsurprised to find mirrors my unconscious choices, above.  I then updated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment