Tuesday, January 5, 2021

I Check Out Substack Newsletters

#307: A New Model For Self-Publishing?

......................

I've recently read of several big-name bloggers moving to Substack, including Matt Yglesias, someone I enjoyed reading at Vox on occasion. 

So, to usher in the new year, I checked back to see what was going on there.  I looked at three promising writers (Hunter Harris' Hung Up, Claire Berlinki's Claire's Invariably Interesting Thoughts, and Charlie Syke's Morning Shots).  Why didn't I sign up?  $5 - $10 a month, the going price for most newsletters, is just too much for me, though I would definitely go for .10 to .50 cents a month.

Okay, 50¢ isn't going to pay for anyone's writing.  Unless... subscribers at that level came out of the woodwork.  Maybe if Substack had a 'come-on-in' entry level that matched you up with appropriate writers:

1. You answer ten questions or so about what you want to read.

2. An algorithm matches you to five newsletters, each for $.50 a month, and one for $5.  The lower priced newsletters are written by newbies.  The higher priced writer would be a taste test (maybe a month for 50¢) that might bring you in the door.

3.  Maybe you get to pick that one higher priced newsletter.

...............

The New Yorker has an article on Substack in its current issue



No comments:

Post a Comment