Saturday, September 17, 2016

It's True, I Started Blogging in 1983

My Paper-And-Ink Newsletter: Treetop Panorama


If you told me, 33 years ago, that in a quarter century I'd still be publishing my own writing, but breaking even, and could read other writers who I admired, also for free, I'd think that a wonderful thing.

The photos below, showcasing my Spring 1987 issue, give you a sense of how good I got by the time I quit, a few years later.  I employed artists, writers, even a calligrapher--though all on a very small scale, of course.  My two issues a year each cost about $500 to put out, with subscriptions ($3.25 per year) paying for anything beyond that.   I wrote nearly all the copy, then glued the available artwork and poetry I'd commissioned onto my typewritten pages, added some layout touches, then left off my manuscript at P.A.M. Printers in town.  I'd then pick up the double pages, collate, staple, fold and stick the assemblage together with a adhesive dot, add a stamp, an address, and mail them.  At one time I even rented a mailing list.



                                                                    Front page





                                       A poem & drawing





                              A taped interview with a neighbor





                                 An American history quiz




             Back Page (poem is riff off commissioned artwork)

Writing for fun--as opposed to trying to get people to subscribe--is a lot more enjoyable.  I think I'd be quite pleased, back then, with how things turned out.  I miss the poetry, illustrations and layout work, but I can now access full color--if I want; I've no deadlines (my 8/31 post was worked on for a good ten days); and there's even space for comments if things get outrageous enough to warrant them.  And I haven't had to cut back on the prescriptive politics--which drove me to 'blog' back in '83: I believe it was President Reagan's invasion of Grenada that fired up the pen back then.

And while I find my younger self's writing embarrassing at times, that's how most people would feel. 

And in case you're wondering, no, that's no longer my address, above.  

No comments:

Post a Comment