Sunday, June 23, 2019

Discussion: Social Media Habits

#230: My System
.......................

I'm moderately active on social media, mainly Twitter, and am quite satisfied with my experience.  Over the years I've developed a system that allows for give-and-take, but without any of the mania that can accompany 24/7 connection.  How does my approach work?  We'll use an expert's 6-point advice column to get started, and I'll include a percentage to indicate how I feel about each item (just like in my last post on sleep habits):

1. Limit When and Where You Use Social Media   70%
Sure, limitations are necessary, but our expert includes keeping your computer/phone out of your bedroom.  My method is so much less demanding.  I simply use my phone for texting and calling, only, with the sound off; this means I choose when to check it.  Then, I do all my social media on my desktop computer; this means I'm not online except for when I have time and am in the mood.  And of course I have everything in my bedroom--and, no, my sleep is normal.

2. Have 'Detox' Periods  50%
Again, limitations are a good thing, but I find I only occasionally regret not answering a call or text right away.  So, I only ever engage if I'm feeling like it, and therefore don't need to think of taking time off from it.

3. Pay Attention to What You Do and How You Feel   90%
Right, experimenting with different times of day, states of mind, and kinds of friends online is vital.  But to only interact with people you know offline (one of our expert's prescriptions) seems wrong.  Having friends I've never met, or usually don't see, is a wonderful thing.

4. Approach Social Media Mindfully; Ask 'Why?'  80%
True, I want to be mindful, and asking myself why I feel like reaching out is good.  But, oftentimes, I'm moved by what I write or read, and end up in a completely different frame-of-mind, so there's also the question of "Why not?"

5. Prune  95%
Good one.  There's always something to sign up for, or someone to connect with.  It's probably a good idea to give oneself too little to handle, rather than too much.  The author suggests you might want to sign up for motivational or 'funny' sites.  Maybe for most people; I just don't have the time, plus my sense of humor is too demanding.

6. Stop Social Media from Replacing Real Life  30%
Ummm, ok, for most people; but I find I usually prefer to interact with people I don't see day-to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment