Wednesday, June 2, 2021

My Personal Ranking of TV Sit-Coms

 #342:  20 Sit-Coms I've Watched

.................................

Rolling Stone recently published a Top-100 Greatest Sit-Coms list.  Here's my much shorter version (the 20 out of 100 that I've watched).

The first number in each entry is Rolling Stone's assessment.  The number in red after the show title is my ranking (1-20).  The number in parentheses at the end is how many episodes I've watched (minimum one).

#92: Daria   I think I watched a couple episodes in a hotel room.  Quite interesting. (3) 

#72: Blackadder 15   Saw just one many years ago.  Innovative, but barely funny. (1)

#74: Futurama  5   Maybe three episodes over many years.  Nerd funny. (2)

#67: The Jack Benny Program  10   Reruns from long ago.  Deadpan humor. (2)

#66: Get Smart  6   Whole seasons worth of reruns.  Upends expectations. (~40)

#48: The Jeffersons  8   Easier to watch than depressing "All In The Family". (~15)

#41: King of the Hill  14   Hilarity that's hard to watch. (4)

#32: The Golden Girls  7   Chicken soup for when you're sick.  (20-30?)

#31: Fawlty Towers  17    Outrageous gag humor.  (3)  

#28: Malcolm in the Middle  11  Saw a few but don't remember much  (2)

#26: The Bob Newhart Show  13  Happened upon a rerun at a hotel (1)

#23: The Office (US)  4  Well done, though relies on misfits suffering  (~20)

#16: The Cosby Show  20   Simply can't watch again.  (~15)

#11: The Dick Van Dyke Show  16   Vaguely remember watching this (~5)

#8: The Honeymooners  18   Blowhards were once funny (5-10)

#7: The Mary Tyler Moore Show  12   Don't remember much but the smile (2)

#5: All In The Family  19   At the time, great; but rather dispiriting (~10)

#4: I Love Lucy 9   Early comedy had lots of gaffes, but also laughs (~25)

#3: Seinfeld  3  Watched a few reruns.  Could watch a couple more (~5)

#1: The Simpsons  1   A rare instance where I watched 10-20 seasons, plus many partial seasons.  The humor is occasionally brilliant, and usually entertaining, though several dozen episodes qualify as duds.  The main problem is Homer.  Just about everyone else is excellent, with memorable minor characters that'll always be reference points in my mind.  The only constraint now is time to watch TV, since I've seen just 2-3 this year. (200+)

In general, if I had time, I'd probably watch and 2.  The rest, probably not, unless someone wanted to share and discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment